Manifesto

I don't think I'm alone here, but I feel like I just want to be the discoverer of the next big thing. I don't know what that next big thing is or if it is a big thing to those around me or just me. I have lots of interests, some I am seriously pursuing (vocal performance, being a good mother/wife, running two marathons this year...) some that I dabble in when I happen to be knocked over by a muse (composing, poetry) and some things I am yet to really do anything great but I aspire to do so (writing something that gets published and enjoyed by many people). I just listened to this radio article from Radio Lab and I was inspired. Evidently I need to be working harder at this creativity thing.
There has been a rash of pledges lately by friends and bloggers that I follow about what they will and will not do from this moment on. I haven't really felt the need to do the same. Until now. I am going to figure out what the next big thing I am supposed to do is, by gum. And here is how:

1. Dedicated prayer every morning. Written down.
I most definitely believe in a higher power. I think he wants us all to achieve our creative potential. I recently read The Help and I loved that Aibileen wrote down her prayers. Sometimes I have to write things down to really find clarity and I'm going to see if this helps. I'm going to try it for 30 days.
2. Write down the ideas I get during my runs.
3. Follow through with the idea until it is deemed ridiculous or unachievable within the space of a week.

So that is where I'm going to start. Any more ideas? Have you been successful in covering new creative ground and getting "unstuck"? I'd love to hear your ideas!


Comments

Joel said…
I initially read "composing" as "composting." That's something else you should do, for the good of the earth.
Kate said…
have you heard this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86x-u-tz0MA

i haven't listened to your link so maybe its a repeat. but i really like this when i heard it back in 2009.
scooping it up said…
I think writing down your ideas while you run is definitely a good start.

I also tend to be an editor. Kinda like the facebook founder. I like taking ideas and running with them, changing them, making them even better.

Call it inspiration, call it stealing, I am not as much a creator as I am a re-vamper. That is where I start.

Maybe if there are ideas you have you can see what other people do or think about this things via blog hopping, and take off in new directions.

Popular Posts