I guess you just had to be there



As I finally emerged from the pain killer induced fog from my most recent shoulder dislocation yesterday, one of my favorite quotes of all time popped into my head:
"Welcome Oh life! I go to encounter for the millionth time the reality of experience and to forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race" - James Joyce
I was just thinking about how important experience really is. I can describe in gory detail what it feels like to dislocate a shoulder, but unless you've felt it, well you can only imagine what it feels like. Kind of like, you are Barbie and a 1 year old rips off your arm except you have nerve endings in all that even skin-toned plastic. I've always felt, incidentally, that the bummer about a dislocated shoulder is that you have no outward sign of how crazy painful it is once it's back in socket. I mean, you just go through this gnarly injury and you have nothing to show for it! No cool battle scar! No means to get people to think you are hard core for going through something painful. All you have is a sore shoulder and the need to ask people to pick up heavy things for you. Pretty much (unless of course you wear a sling) you just look like a wimp. Basically you just have to trust that people don't think you're faking it. I think that's why women tell their crazy birth stories. They want people to really appreciate the experience they went through; that they overcame something and did something big. We all want people to know the big stuff in our life. But I digress. So, good or bad, here are a few things I think you just have to experience to really understand.
1. Getting your heart broken
2. Really, truly, falling in love
3. Having a baby and then loving that baby more than you ever thought possible
4. Helping someone else really truly talk to God for the first time.
5. Coming out from being under anesthesia
6. Breaking a bone
7. Nailing a high C

So what else is there out there that just you have to experience yourself?

Comments

Emilia said…
ok...this one's cheesy but...really good synergy between accompanist and vocalist/instrumentalist etc. Everyone always looks at me like I'm daft whenever I try to describe it. Sorry about your shoulder... :(
~Christina said…
I would have to say that I never understood how absolutely heart-wrenching painful divorce is until my own parents' divorce when I was 19. I would never wish that on anyone, and it still pains me every day.


I can't wait to have my own baby, I've been married 3 years and just can't wait to be able to stay home and take care of my own little one! :) I am glad to hear a mom speak so highly of the experience and her own child.
Pam Baumeister said…
Passing out multiple times in one hour...not necessarily something I encourage, but it's something you have to experience to understand for sure.
Kristin said…
*Eating a REAL Belgian Waffle
*Eating French Bread in France
*Visiting a 3rd World Country
*Running a Marathon
*Loving someone who died
Kate's Kingdom said…
Truly, the pain of a shoulder separation isn't one I'd recommend--since I've been there and done that--for 17 years--until, to protect my baby, you, I decided it was time to do something about it. Not only the pain but the risk of dropping or hurting a small defenseless child because of unannounced and unsuspected should separtion could no longer be ignored. My heart goes out to you as you endure this trial. MOM

Popular Posts