Poem of the Moment

Here it is again, time for another poem. Carl Sandburg writes with grace, elegance and simplicity. There are few poets that I have found that express emotions in such a way as he does. If I had half the mastery of language he did I would consider myself very lucky. This poem has always been one of my favorites, I don't remember when I first read it, it flows so naturally and seems so effortless that it seems to have always existed.


At A Window

Give me hunger
Oh you gods that sit and give
The world it's orders
Give me hunger, pain and want,
Shut me out with shame and failure
From your doors of gold and fame,
Give me your shabbiest, weariest hunger!

But leave me a little love,
A voice to speak to me in the day end,
A hand to touch me in the dark room
Breaking the long loneliness.
In the dusk of day-shapes
Blurring the sunset,
One little wandering, western star
Thrust out from the changing shores of shadow
Let me go to the window,
Watch there the day-shapes of dusk
And wait and know the coming
Of a little love.

-Carl Sandburg

Comments

Joel said…
Tell me that picture isn't what I think it is...

Popular Posts