Tough break, kid



**Warning: This post is not for the faint of heart or stomach

Ah, Moab.  Mecca for outdoor enthusiasts and playground to bikers,motorists, and hikers alike.   Of all the things I envisioned myself doing while Jeff and I spent time with his family, a 4 hour ambulance ride back to Salt Lake wasn't one of them.  Friday morning Jeff, Frank ( Jeff's Dad) and I set out for our first ride of the year at Bartlett's Wash.  The morning was a bit cool, but we were undaunted.  the ride proved to be even more fun than last year and I found myself taking a few risks that made it even more fun.  We headed back to the trail head and I was having a blast.  Suddenly my bike slipped a bit.  Oh-oh, my tires were WAY too inflated and weren't gripping the rock.  As i made that realization my bike slipped again and without thinking I put out my left arm to break my fall.  SNAP!  I knew instantly that i had broken both bones in my arm and I screamed like I was experiencing the most painful thing in my life.  Wait a minute...  Jeff and Frank made a splint, and I tried not to ralph and only passed out once.  It was only a half a mile's walk to the car but I swear it took five hours to get there.  About three weeks or maybe 45 minutes later we arrived at the Moab hospital.  I'll spare you a few details, but after some X-rays and a quick gander at the bone that was poking it's way out of my arm to say hello, it was determined that I needed to go to Salt Lake.  Now we return to the 4 hour ambulance ride.  Eight morphine shots later, I arrived in the city of salt.  Finally, I've reached the point where i can show off my X-rays.


Ok, since I am still medicated I reserve the right to be a bit random.  I was sedated, they cleaned out the wound and operated.  I am now the proud owner of two plates and twelve screws.  


Comments

Juliann said…
EEEhhchkkk! Oh, Amy! I'm dying! I've never broken a bone in my life and looking at those x-rays makes ME want to pass out. And four hours in a bumpy, jolting ambulance ride!!! I hope they let you choose the music. . .

I'm so, so sorry! I hope they gave you enough morphine to last awhile!
theriddle said…
Oh Amy I am so sorry this happened to you! I'm so so so so sorry! I really feel for you and I hope you have a swift recovery. In the meantime I am sure Jeff will take really good care of you. You poor thing!
Joel said…
What I really want to know is if Jeff went ahead with his phone interview Friday afternoon.
Jon D said…
Wow, not fun. I know this will be one trip to remember. Seems at least you and I have a love hate relationship with bikes. We love to ride them but they don't love us (broken bones). I guess there is one positive side - I have only one screw in my wrist so.... I can say you're screwy-er than me :P
oh my goodness Amy! That is TERRIBLE!!!! Do the screws ever come out??? Dang girl! Thats some hard core biking you're doing!
Aimerz said…
Yikes!!! Amy I hope you feel better soon and heal quick! Glad your hubby is takin' care of you!
Emilia said…
See what happens when you leave town and don't make recordings with me! :) Get better soon!
Unknown said…
Amy, that's really sad. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope it heals perfectly.
Rebecka said…
Part woman, part steel!
HOLY MOLY!!! That's about all that comes to mind... glad you're okay too!
Bionic Woman. Oh Amy. I know the feeling. I recently broke two fingers. Good luck in physical therapy, it hurts, but is worth it.

Popular Posts